We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
8 Hours 20 Mins
Serves 4 (serving size: 2 short ribs and 1/4 cup sauce)
These short ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender with extra umami flavor from the mushrooms, garlic, and soy sauce. If you can’t find short ribs, pick up a boneless chuck roast at the market and cut it into 2-inch chunks instead.
- 8 lean bone-in beef short ribs (about 2 1/2 lb.), trimmed
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (about 3 garlic cloves)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup unsalted beef stock
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Calories 334
- Fat 19g
- Satfat 6g
- Unsatfat 11g
- Protein 24g
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 14g
- Added sugars 13g
- Sodium 583mg
- Calcium 3% DV
- Potassium 8% DV
How to Make It
Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add half of the ribs to skillet; cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer ribs to a 6-quart slow cooker; discard drippings in skillet. (Don’t wipe skillet clean.) Repeat procedure with remaining ribs. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to skillet; stir in mushrooms, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms soften slightly, about 4 minutes; transfer mushroom mixture to slow cooker. Add beef stock, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and red pepper to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until ribs are tender, about 8 hours.
Transfer ribs to a serving platter; reserve cooking liquid in the slow cooker. Skim fat from surface of cooking liquid. Drizzle ribs with reserved cooking liquid.